The parish church of St. Michael Unterrodach
'The raftsmen's church'
In 1806 the evangelists in Unterrodach at last got their own church, which was built around a catholic chapel. Before that, the evangelists,who were actually in the majority, were forced to go to church in Fischbach where they had their own gallery. An anchor and a model of a raft are reminders of the log transportation using rafts on the Rodach river which used to be so important for this place. The picture of the Last Supper on the body of the pulpit was donated by the families of raftsmen – unlike in other churches, the Last Supper of Jesus with His disciples is not in the predella directly above the altar table. The raftsmen also paid for the neogothic baptismal font.
The pulpit altar, with the eye of God in the triangle and the halo of rays of light, is in ‘margrave’ style, and the triangle is also seen shining out of a blue Heaven on the church ceiling. On the organ with its baroque case, two angels with trumpets flank the initials of the local nobility.The oldest of the three processional crosses of 1712 was probably taken from one of the neigbouring evangelical churches. It is splendidly worked and its dedication reminds us that all must perish.
Outside, St Michael’s church is also an impressive sight, with its elaborate doorways and its facade on the street side.
The parish church of St. Michael
Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun 09:30-17:00
Evang.-Luth. Pfarramt Unterrodach
It's worth going a little bit further: many churches lie on lovely cycle, walking and pilgrim paths. You will find an overview of them in the following map, as well as places worth seeing nearby. It also has links to local area, church and tourist information websites.
Bike tracks, pilgrim paths and hiking trails close to The parish church of St. Michael:
Visit places of interest near The parish church of St. Michael:
Find more events on the church's website or the Evangelische Termine portal (Evangelical events portal).