The parish church of St. Aegidius, Melkendorf

A spiritual spring at the confluence of the Main rivers

There was already a church near the confluence of the Red and White Main rivers around the turn of the first millenium.The romanesque church was destroyed in 1430 by the Hussites, then the Gothic fortified church was destroyed in the Second Margrave war in 1553 and replaced with an aisleless church, which again was badly damaged in the Thirty Years’ war. A modest stone dated 1632 on the north wall of the church records the massacre. After this, this house of God was converted to a margrave church.
The furnishings of the church portray what man needs for salvation.In the centre of the pulpit, just as in the centre of belief itself, is Jesus the Saviour, surrounded by the four Evangelists who embody the message of salvation. The angel right at the top blows a trumpet to proclaim it. St Paul with the sword stands for the power of the Word of God. The keys of St Peter unlock the gates of Heaven once earthly sins have been forgiven. Until the 19C this took place even in evangelical churches during individual confession in the beautifully carved confessional.The font, where the ‘pilgrim journey to Paradise’ begins, has been replaced with a neo-Gothic one. And the picture of the Last Supper in the predella reminds us of communion as ‘provisions for the journey’.
The elaborate stuccoed ceiling by the Bamberg stucco artists, father and son Feeg,is captivating in its rich ornamentation in high baroque symmetrical style. The symbols of the tablets of the Ten Commandments and the Ark of the Covenant represent the Old Covenant. In the centre God’s magnificence beams out: the triangle, edged here with flowers, with God’s name Jahwe in a halo of rays of light. Heaven, the destination of earthly pilgrimage, opens. And at the church entrance a hearty ‘welcome’ is set into the floor.

the church.

The parish church of St. Aegidius
Hauptstr. 18
95326 Kulmbach

Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri, Sat 06:00-18:00
During opening times key may be obtained from the Dippold Bakery, directly opposite the church.

Evang.-Luth. Pfarramt Melkendorf
09221 74861

  • Wheelchair accessible
  • Car parking
  • Public transport
  • Church tours

the surroundings.

It's worth going a little bit further: many churches lie on lovely cycle, walking and pilgrim paths. You will find an overview of them in the following map, as well as places worth seeing nearby. It also has links to local area, church and tourist information websites.

Bike tracks, pilgrim paths and hiking trails close to The parish church of St. Aegidius:

Main-Radweg (Roter Main) 557 km Kulmbach Land KU 9 – 5 Täler-Tour am Obermain 29 km Kulmbach Land KU 1 91 km Kulmbach Land KU 8 24 km Rotmain-Wanderweg 25 km Frankenweg 520 km Die Burgenstraße 950 km Mitteleuropa-Route-EuroVelo 4 5100 km Radweg D11 Ostsee-Oberbayern 1694 km Saar-Mosel-Main – D-Route 5 987 km Auen-Weg KU 81 11.3 km Proßer Leitenweg RWF 63 18 km Markgrafenkirchen und sehr viel mehr
Tour 10: “Rund um den Mainzusammenfluss”
37 km
Markgrafenkirchen und sehr viel mehr
Tour 11: “Rund um die Plassenburg”
42 km

Visit the

Find more events on the church's website or the Evangelische Termine portal (Evangelical events portal).